Monday, April 02, 2007

And now, a published photographer...

When it rains, it pours.

I keep wondering when it's all going to end.

Here I am, 35 years old, and have very rarely gotten accolades for anything I do. Yet within one week short week early in 2007, I get all kinds of recognition.

I had my second photo in a week make the top 500 on Flickr, this one from the big thunderstorm that rolled in Friday night:

San Antonio Lightning


And not only did this one make the top 500 for Saturday, it cracked the top 200, which I'm very excited about.

Then tonight, Monica and I come home from dinner and I find an email waiting for me from the Virginia Quarterly Review letting me know that a picture I took on our honeymoon of the US-Mexico border is going to be used in this article, which also happens to be the top article their home page as of today (maybe not by the time you read this).

In case you're lazy and don't want to check out the article, here's the picture:

Border

Because I publish my photos under a creative commons license, they don't have to pay me anything, they simply have to attribute the photo to me, which is fine by me.

I'm just excited that people are finding my photos interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:24 AM

    Not coincidentally, I've had the same experience recently, having found some of my CC-licensed images from Flickr appearing prominently on Wikipedia. It finally occurred to me that we at VQR could provide the same exposure for others.

    As a small university publication, we don't have much of a budget for things like licensing photos. But I can't stand to see a piece like Caputo's (which will remain our featured article for much of April) go unadorned. It cries out for the sort of illustration that we have in the print version, but lack the license to use online. Your picture is just gorgeous, and deserves to be seen more widely. I'm glad we could provide that venue.

    BTW, that's a brilliant shot of lightning. I've never managed to get a good photo of lightning.

    ReplyDelete