Friday, January 13, 2006

Birthday blues

Because my sister is totally kicking my ass with blog posting in the past week, and because my wife is giving me shit about not updating my blog (although she already knows everything I write here), I have decided to take a few moments to say "hello."

Hello.

The past week has been pretty hectic. Between dealing with incompetence (again) at work, and being in the classroom 3 days this week, I haven't had much time to think, let alone sit down and write a post (sorry Mom and Dad).

So this weekend I turn 34. It's funny, really, because when I think back on my youth, which to me doesn't seem like that long ago, I thought about how old people were when they were in their thirties.

I mean, when I was 12, back in 1984 (remember? Reagan, Mary Lou Retton, Cubs win the NL East...OK, so I'm dating myself), people in their 30's had grown up watching black and white TVs, not having cable, heck, not having computers!

It makes me wonder what kids who are 12 think about people in their 30's now. I guess they can marvel at how primitive our video games were, but, really, we had them. It seems to me that we had a lot of the things kids have today when I was growing up. Maybe I'm just old, and not hip anymore, so I don't have any clue, but it doesn't seem like the world has changed all that drastically in the last 20 or so years.

So why is it that I feel so old around all of these kids today?

We're having some people over on Saturday night for game night and burgers...oh yeah, and beer too. I'm looking forward to spending the remainder of the 3-day weekend relaxing with my wife, our dog, and our unborn child.

No comments:

Post a Comment