Saturday, October 06, 2007

You can't tell me you didn't see it coming...

So the Cubs got swept out of the playoffs. Yet another disappointing end to what I think was a mediocre season. If the Cubs had been in any other division, they would have never made it this far. They dropped three in a row in Florida when they needed to tie up the division. They backed into the playoffs on a Milwaukee loss, after battling against themselves the entire second half of the season.

The fact is no team really seemed to want to win the central...the Cubs just didn't want it less than Milwaukee and St. Louis.

I mean, let's be serious here...this isn't the team from 2003 that had everything going for them. In fact, let's talk about that for a minute, shall we? A team that was just 5 outs away from the World Series, and where are all of those players? The only position player left from that team is Aramis Ramirez. The only other players left are Kerry Wood, who, let's face it, is pretty much worthless to the Cubs now, and Mark Prior, who hasn't thrown a single pitch in a major league game this year. This was a team where the middle of the order was as strong, if not stronger than the top of the order, they won a ton of games, won the first postseason series since 1945, and they dismantled the team.

Yeah, the Cubs front office sure knows what it's doing when it makes those trades, doesn't it?

Since these guys made the playoffs this year, I'm sure they'll trade Soto next year, probably keep Kendall as their everyday catcher, and they'll trade Lee and Soriano for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya man. I'm right there with you. On one level I've just come to expect disappointment from the Cubbies. I mean, I've been a fan since I was able to throw a ball and every season it's the same story... except for '03 as you pointed out. But hey, wasn't that exciting? :D

    ReplyDelete